Hayworth Cancer Center at High Point Regional To Become a Service of UNC Hospitals
Effective May 21, the Hayworth Cancer Center at High Point Regional will become a service of UNC Hospitals. This transition will provide both High Point Regional and UNC Hospitals with strategic advantages while continuing to provide patients with high quality, exceptional care by their same oncologists and medical professionals in High Point.
“Our community is fortunate to have such an exceptional cancer program at the Hayworth Cancer Center,” said Ernie Bovio, CEO and President of High Point Regional. “This new relationship with UNC Hospitals simply deepens our commitment to excellence in clinical care and cancer research.”
Patients will have greater access to clinical trials via a direct connection to clinical research at the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center. Hayworth Cancer Center will now be part of one of only 45 National Cancer Institute (NCI-designated) comprehensive cancer centers, bringing together some of the most exceptional physicians and scientists in the country to investigate and improve the prevention, early detection and treatment of cancer.
The Hayworth Cancer Center is currently under renovation in several areas of the facility. Projects include:
- Lobby Renovations – The main lobby of the cancer center is being renovated to provide one centralized check in location for the entire Cancer Center. This will allow patients easy and efficient registration prior to their first appointment of the day.
- Chemotherapy Rooms - chemotherapy rooms will be centralized into one larger location on the main floor of the Cancer Center.
- Laboratory Facilities – Existing lab facilities are being expanded and remodeled to provide a better patient experience.
- Oncology Pharmacy – A new state-of-the-art oncology pharmacy is being added to the Cancer Center. This pharmacy will be dedicated to providing oncology patients with the medications they need in a one stop convenient location.
- Radiation Oncology- A new state-of-the art linear accelerator was placed into operation in January and plans are underway for a second accelerator to be added. This will provide additional capacity for providing radiosurgery treatments to patients.
As a whole, there will be a stronger alignment of relationships between clinical staff at High Point Regional and UNC Health Care, streamlining work processes to provide increased quality and safety for our patients. The radiation oncologists and physicists at the Hayworth Cancer Center who are members of the UNC Medical Staff indicate an additional operational benefit of the transition will be a shared electronic platform with all UNC Radiation Oncology facilities making their patient workflow more efficient.
ANNOUNCING UNC Regional Physicians Hematology & Oncology
Effective May 15, 2016, UNC Regional Physicians Hematology & Oncology will open on the main floor of the Hayworth Cancer Center.
“We are pleased to welcome these outstanding doctors and professional staff to the UNC Regional Physicians team,” said Bovio. “For more than 30 years, these physicians have been providing exceptional hematology and oncology care to the greater High Point community impacting the lives of thousands of individuals. These physicians have been recognized multiple times on a national level bringing a wealth of experience to our UNC Regional Physician practices.”
The existing physician offices on the main floor of the Cancer Center are currently undergoing renovations. Patients will be seen in alternate office space in the Cancer Center during the renovations. Renovations are expected to be completed and the new space open to patients May 23. Their phone number is (336) 781-4080.
If patients need to have medical records transferred to UNC Regional Physicians Hematology & Oncology, they should ask their current physician for a medical records request form. Patients should complete the form, return it to their current physician and they will forward the records as directed.